Audre Lorde Scholarship Fund Application
Purpose of Award
The Audre Lorde Scholarship Awards are designed to recognize out* black lesbians making significant contributions to their communities. ZAMI NOBLA wants to support and encourage their continuing education by providing scholarships to those women enrolled in accredited technical, undergraduate and graduate programs.
Out* is defined as an acknowledgement of lesbian identify to self, and to family, friends, and community.
- Submit official/unofficial up- to- date academic transcript (s) supporting the GPA entered on your application. You may send transcripts only from your most recent school(s), provided two semesters of study are included.
- Acceptance letter if you are an entering freshman or transfer student.
- Completion of two of five essay questions outlined in the application.
- Do not combine answers. Each essay answer must be at least a page in length.
- Three letters of recommendations~ one must be from a teacher/ professor, one must be from a supervisor/ mentor, and one from an activist/organizer in the LGBT community. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- A recent photograph suitable for publication; i.e., a cap and gown picture, or other professional quality headshot photograph. We prefer to receive photographs by email. Application will not be accepted if a clean headshot is not enclosed, no exceptions.
- An out black lesbian who is 40 years old or older attending any technical, undergraduate or graduate school located in the United States
- Accepted or registered at a post-secondary educational institution for full or part-time attendance as defined by the institution
- Cumulative high school/college/or technical school grade point average of 3.0 or higher
Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the eligibility requirements as your application will not be reviewed. No exceptions to the eligibility requirements are considered. The Fund does not offer scholarships for weekend programs, summer sessions, research, special projects, or for study out of the country.
Scholarship Amount —– $1000
We prefer that all application materials be submitted at one time. If the references or transcript(s) are submitted under at separate times, the student is responsible for making sure we receive it on or before the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be reviewed, no exceptions. Early applications are encouraged. Recipients may re- apply each year. Awardees will be notified on or before August 30, 2016.
Awards are for the current academic year only and by law are paid directly to the recipient and the academic institution. Please send proof of official registration to ZAMI NOBLA at the beginning of the school year.
A scholarship committee reviews applications. Finalists may be invited to participate in a telephone interview.
Checks not processed with the academic institution within 90 days of receipt will be rendered null and void by the Audre Lorde Scholarship Fund.